Smartphones are now a lot smarter & secure with the feature of biometric security. Biometric authentication functions similar to fingerprint sensors. Biometrics in Android phones help in unlocking tablets & Smartphones. This technology largely simplifies the unlocking procedure & also eradicates the cognitive pressure of identifying manifold long passwords every single time. These days’ businesses having apps are implementing such features with the services offered by Android app Development Company. Properly utilizing biometrics enhances security. Hacking passwords is no big deal in the current times but one can never fake biometrics. Such technologies offer access controls that are role based.
Learn how biometrics functions from this blog post.
To integrate Android biometric authentication, it is first vital to understand how biometrics works. Biometrics is not something that passes across servers & devices. These actually are put to use for safeguarding & locking up other types of authentication information. This normally refers to a digital credential private key. It is that protected information that facilitates user authentication. Businesses that are thinking of leveraging biometrics as a portion of authentication can entrust on acquiring elevated security levels, a steadfast user experience across various platforms, similar bunch of services, etc.
The most important requisite of Android fingerprint security is the storing of fingerprint biometrics in TEE or the Trusted Execution Environment. Encryption of biometric information takes place & storing happens in another portion of the Smartphone. The normal operating system cannot access this. The OS cannot even export it. Android can request TEE for validating uniqueness with the use of biometrics but it can never extract biometric information. The biometrics in Android phones always remains within a user’s Smartphone.
Implementation of biometric fingerprint reader Android
Learn about how does biometric authentication work by going through the following few steps:
- Add the needed permissions in AndroidManifest.xml
- The device must support Android device fingerprint authentication. The tablet or Smartphone must run on Android 6.0 or better versions. The user must grant the app permission for accessing the fingerprint sensor. The device firstly must feature the fingerprint sensor. The user needs to register at least 1 fingerprint on his device.
- Showcasing BiometricPrompt dialog is important. Your selected Android app development company can only implement a biometric authentication system when the Android version in the Smartphone or tablet is Android P. This is important for receiving the support of the Biometric dialog.
- Managing the authentication callback is the next step. This is important to utilize for listening to authentication events from users. The trigger of this callback takes place when fingerprints successfully match with any of the fingerprints that are already recorded on the device. Passing of the AuthenticationResult object will also take place. Also, the callback will activate in case the fingerprint is different from the registered one. Another instance includes the encountering of unrecoverable errors & if the authentication procedure is unsuccessful. The callback comes with error code for discovering the reason of the error along with the error message.
Applications of fingerprint recognition
Many people are of the notion that biometrics is best for Government use but nowadays applications can surpass Government use entirely. Few of the applications of fingerprint recognition are:
- Banking for transaction authentication – Banks all over the world are now implementing biometric authentication systems as financial entities are nowadays digitally based. This largely helps in enhancing employee & customer identity management for combating fraud & enhances transaction security. Customers worry about identity theft & with associated hassles of constantly trying to prove their individuality. This is making customers seek for more banks that are equipped with biometric authentication.
- Mobile app – Patterns, PINs & passwords are identification methods that are knowledge based. These might add an extra security layer to your mobile app but these add friction to user experience as well. Several ecommerce marketers for their apps are now availing Android app development company for implementing biometrics in Android phones biometric authentication system. Typing becomes a frustrating experience especially in the virtual Smartphone keyboard. To the contrary, if a user just needs to press a fingertip to the touch sensor of his/her device, then it is friction-free & quick. Biometric fingerprint reader Android is a concept that is gaining much popularity these days.
With better and evolving technologies all around & dawning of digitalization; all this has enhanced cyber crimes as well. Security is the most important requirement these days in context to Android phones, mobile apps, banking apps, etc. So if you want to power your application with best security features, it is mandatory to integrate biometrics in Android phones. To implement, the experts of Android app Development Company will be at your service anytime you want. Now keep all your customers safe as they make in-app payments with these services. Get in touch with us today.